"Sweetish" Strawberry Pancakes


"Sweetish" Pancake with Bonus Round Strawberries and Yogurt

While vacationing with friends years ago, my then 10-year-old daughter was served a pretty puffed pancake for breakfast. Overjoyed, my budding young cook asked our hostess for the recipe which was happily recited to her. At home some weeks later, she got out her hand-written recipe which she had titled, "Sweetish Pancakes." Her title was fully reflective of her experience, and forevermore our family will think of Swedish Pancakes in this way.

One Morning's Pickings

Strawberries are usually a harbinger of spring, so the early autumn burst of juicy red lusciousness from our everbearing strawberries is a great and unexpected joy. Being fairly committed to eating locally and seasonally, I somehow feel like a cheat to have this luxury, but nothing could be more local or more seasonal. Our garden is completely edged by strawberries of many varieties. Some bless us with fruit in June, then relax in their glossy foliage while the others go to work on this end-of-season bonus round.

My Baby and I have eaten our strawberries in the rustic, puffy pancake fresh from the oven three times this week. Nothing could be easier, and I love watching the puffing oven magic first thing in the morning, opening my eyes to the magic the rest of the day may possess.
Puffed Pancake

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons butter

Place an 8-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven, and preheat the oven to 450˚.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except butter. Whisk vigorously for a minute or so, creating a smooth, thin batter.

Carefully remove pan from hot oven. Place the butter in the pan and swirl until it is melted and the pan is coated. Pour the batter in all at once and zip the pan back into the hot oven. If you have little kids (or have a kid-like curiosity yourself) plop them (or yourself) down in front of the oven window for the next 12-15 minutes, with the real drama happening in the last 6-8 minutes. Magic will happen before your very eyes.

When the pancake is very golden brown (I like mine a little more on the toasty-brown side), remove from oven. "Sweetish" pancakes deflate very quickly, so be sure your audience is called in to witness its full glory right before removing it from the oven. Fill with your favorite sweetened fruit, or traditionally, dowse it with powdered sugar and squeeze with fresh lemon wedges.

Serves 2.

If you have more bellies than two to make happy, this recipe doubles and even triples with good success to accommodate two skillets or one much larger skillet.

Comments

  1. That looks amazing! I'm a little jealous of your late season strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your strawberries as well LOL But the pancakes looks delicious and what a cute story :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, Pam! I've never made these and have always thought they'd be difficult so never even looked up a recipe. Now, I see I should've done them long ago... Congrats on the top nine. That photo of the shank was truly gorgeous!!! Kate @kateiscooking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envious of your idyllic country life! You're so lucky to still have strawberries. Very cute story - thanks for sharing it and the recipe for the Sweetish pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss homegrown strawberries so much! they're the sweetest and absolutely fun to pick. I, too, would eat these pancakes 3 times a week if I could--whenever I go to to this specific restaurant I envy the person who has one set in front of him and try not to stare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous pancake. They eat something similar in Austria too. You are so lucky to get those fresh strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! I loved the sweet story ;o) I think "Sweetish" is a better name anyway!
    Strawberries in September?! So envious!!
    Buzzed and saved ;o)
    I however, will be making my Sweetish Pancake with in season apples... no berries here ;o(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's an amazing pancake. I can't believe you guys have strawberries so late in the summer. I will have to try the Sweetish pancake too, but it'll have to be with the pears that were just dropped off at the house. Thanks for sharing this wonderful find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so scrumptious!!! i would love to try this with raspberries as well - super yum! thank you so much for the lovely anniversary wishes, i am delighted to be your newest follower! have a glorious day sweet bella

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a lovely boat of deliciousness, and a great way for us to enjoy our spring strawberries right now! Love the Sweetish name too.. oh the names I got wrong when I was little! I was always so embarrassed when someone corrected me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm yum i love pancakes, whichever way they're cooked. This look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That has to be one of the funnier food stories I have heard in some time. I love the way kids think!

    And of course the food looks great. I'm trying to ignore that since I only have homemade apple sauce for breakfast today...

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at you getting #1 in the Top 9 today. And with such a funny story and a good looking dish. Something for all of us to aspire to!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm envious of your garden and it's delicious gifts. What a memorable and sweet story to go with these pancakes. I luv breakfast type dishes - I need an oven-type skillet so I can make this and other delicious treats I've been seeing. Thanks for sharing such a cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute! I love the Sweetish Pancake story - and they look delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that rises right up the sides on the pan? Interesting and very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe how simple it is with wonderful recipe like this one. Can't wait till tomorrow morning to get my sweetish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the top 9! This looks fantastic. Perfectly puffed and those berries look luscious. Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, dear friends, for all the nice comments. It has been fun to be in the Top 9 this week, especially because I seriously thought Foodbuzz forgot I existed!!

    And thanks to my "little girl" for her inspiration and for making me smile so often and so proudly all these many years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh!! I had something similar in NYC and it was divine! I will definitely try your recipe.

    Tipsy Parsons was a lovely restaurant, inspiring for breakfast ideas:
    http://sheeatsbears.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-york-city-food-breakfast.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks fabulous and a great story. Congratulations on Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My daughter used to make a pancake just like this and sprinkle it with powdered sugar and lemon. Definitely a family favorite. Perfect with strawberries!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Cook This