In a Wedding Jam


Fresh Figs and Thyme
Even when a couple decides to go the simple route, wedding planning can run amok. My Baby and I have had the big decisions in place for quite a while: Where the ceremony and reception will take place; the officiant who will marry us; the reception menu; the guest list; a rough sketch of ancillary wedding events; guest accommodations; the cake in its finite detail are all resolved.

Other things, not so much. Vows and ceremony, first dance song, groom's suit, and floral arrangements are still being decided. I do not recommend ordering a custom-made dress with a no-return policy from the internet. Really bad idea. The only worse idea is reducing its resale value by tearing off and tossing the designer hang-tags before deciding it wasn't "the dress." Really really bad idea.
The invitations have been sent out, each envelope specially hand calligraphed by My Baby himself. If you are one of the 50 or so people who received an invitation, read no further for risk of spoiling your surprise.
With all the remaining details to attend to, one thing we've known for certain was that we will offer our guests a thank-you gift from the fruits of our orchard. Plum? Apple? Persimmon? Pear? Fig! Yes, fig jam would be a unique treat. I won the coin-toss with the birds for the figs this year (even the birds have a soft spot for weddings, it seems) and wedding jam was a certainty.
Balsamic Thyme Fig Jam, with its Mother Tree Behind
Our jam has been neatly put up in sparkly glass jars and tied with pretty ribbons and tiny handcrafted labels for our special loved ones and friends. As each guest enjoys their jam, we hope they will think of beautiful Oregon and the joy of love. As a cheese plate accompaniment, on sandwiches, or a spoonful or two stirred into pork or chicken pan juices, it is most heavenly.

Here's the recipe:

Balsamic Thyme Fig Wedding Jam

2 pounds fresh figs, well washed, cut into eighths
1 cup water
1 /4 cup sugar
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves

Place figs and water in stockpot. Bring to a boil and add sugar, half the vinegar, lemon juice and thyme leaves. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the figs have mostly broken down and the mixture is thick. Stir in the remaining balsamic vinegar. If you are happy with the texture, proceed. (At this point, I wanted a more emulsified jam, so in went my immersion blender until there were only a few larger hunks remaining.)

Proceed with a 10 minute boiling-water bath canning method if you want to preserve the jam for longer than a week.

Makes 24 4 oz. jars of jam.

Comments

  1. What a thoughtful gift. I am sure your guests will be happy to receive a homemade treat such as this. Congratulations early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift! Your whole wedding sounds so thoughtful and lovely. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice gift idea. Something they should definitely enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Your homemade jam will be a lovely keepsake of your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that homeade jam is such a great idea to give away at your wedding--by the way, congrats! It is such a nice personal touch. Very nice calligraphy on the envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful gift idea. Your guests will be very lucky to get something with such a personal touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this! What a sweet little favor. I think things that are homemade are the best gifts! I wish I had this recipe when we lived at the other house that had an enormous fig tree...oh, Pam. You should have seen me try and make fig jam. More like fig crap. it was terrible. I don't do jam. I love it, I eat it, but I have not had great success making it. I must try this! oh, the thing about the dress, sorry but I laughed so hard! that sucks so bad. I know your wedding will be beautiful, regardless. Cant wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful - from the invitations to the fig jam - your wedding will be truly memorable. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. I love your favor idea. Very personal and I am sure your guests will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a favor, and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like I'm a part of the wedding just reading all this! I think home made gift ideas are so much more special... I know every one will truly appreciate the jam. Can't wait to hear more about the wedding as it all comes together... what about the dress???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again, Pam, beautiful post! Can't wait for the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a GREAT gift idea! It sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you are enjoying every second, even the frustrating ones(after the frustration turns into reminiscing of course. And a bottle of wine is introduced.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations are definitely required. And look at you making your favors this close to the date. I remember doing everything for our wedding, which we planned in 3 months. It seems overwhelming sometimes, but good fun will be had!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! What a great story! I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Cook This