Go Ducks!


Our local University of Oregon Ducks (if you’ve ever been chased by a duck, this is a more fearful mascot than meets the eye) is not only Numero Uno in the PAC-10, but in the country. Saturday’s civil war game against Oregon had the whole state abuzz.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
That old civil war hymn might be taking things a bit far when we’re talking about a state rivalry, but college football has been known to make people experience godlike rapture and certainly arouses violent passions.

Please, though, linebackers. Don’t stomp on the grapes...

It is only appropriate to serve a local wine while cheering on the home team. Sarver Winery, which produces my favorite line-up of Pinot Gris, fills that bill terrifically. For this meal, we chose the Sarver 2009 Barrel Aged Pinot Gris. Made in the Chardonnay style in oak barrels, Sarver's Barrel Aged Pinot Gris has appley and vanilla notes, and is round and lush. I love the way the popping acidity of the Pinot Gris grape gives a little sass to the velvety barrel richness. I occasionally describe wines by giving them names of famous women. This one, I'd call Bridget Bardot, equal to the famous lady in robust sexiness mixed with a little controversial edge. How often have you found barrel-aged Pinot Gris, after all?

The meal is a redux of the former Butternut Squash and Hazelnut Pizza I'd previously posted, but with some refinements. I had noted the the previous post that the crust recipe was a bit tough and dry for my taste. I fixed that by adding a little more water as I was mixer-kneading the dough. I also drizzled hazelnut oil over the entire pizza before baking for an added subtle flavor note, which was perfect. I also went back to my tried and true oven temperature of 450˚convection. It works well for me.

Served with a persimmon salad, this was a fantastic way to cheer the Duck's on to a National Championship bowl!!

Go Ducks!

Comments

  1. That's pretty sophisticated fare for tailgating, but looks wonderful. College rivalries can be contentious at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ducks are the only college team I follow, they are having a great year, so much fun! Loving this pizza.....yum, hazelnut oil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your Ducks on their bid for the championship game. I'm rooting for them!!! It is time a conference other than the SEC wins the championship.

    Go Ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting pizza! Looks so colorful and inviting. Thank you for sharing the recipe and adding me on FoodBuzz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. If you are going to tailgate do it in style. All sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From college football to water fowl to the Civil war to wine to pizza. I'm impressed (by all of it).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever considered the gourmet pizza biz? As long as you deliver to Londonderry, NH!

    Great food for a good time.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo hoo, I am your 100th follower. What did I win?

    This pizza looks delicious! Look at those beautiful rounds of butternut squash. I love reading your notes about the wine. I have recently been getting into wine and learn what I can about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was chased by a duck once! And a swan...

    This looks delicious! I have to add squash to my list of pizza ingredients!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Cook This