Rest, Reflect, Re-energize and Chardonnay


Amalie Robert 2007 Willamette Valley Chardonnay

Chardonnay is a maligned wine grape varietal. Its downside, that it can be grown just about anywhere and tastes just like where it was grown, can be its upside: It can be grown almost anywhere and tastes just like where it was grown. These are the things My Baby and I discuss when we have a few moments to ourselves and are sitting, sipping, enjoying our idyll and each other.

You've heard all about our recent excitement, and yesterday the last of our long-distance guests departed. We had anticipated and prepared for this happy event for months and months. We had scrubbed and fluffed, weeded and mowed, and taken care of some overdue projects. We had planned menus, shopped, prepped and cooked. By being prepared we were able to make ourselves as available to family and friends as much as possible, to soak up each magic moment as it happened. People were coming from far away for this special event, and we wanted each one of them to feel welcome. They came, we had a wonderful time, then, just like that, they left.

And then, it happened.

Crash. As we hugged the last family members goodbye, a little emotional let-down snuck in. We were happy to "be back to normal" (just a setting on the dryer, if you ask me) and to reclaim our space and routine, but we tearily already missed our loved ones that we don't get to see often enough. So, My Baby and I nested in together with a bottle of special wine and a cheese platter under late summer Oregon skies to reflect on the past few weeks and to anticipate what is immediately ahead.
We've discussed the Amalie Robert Chardonnay on these pages before and loved the 2006 vintage. The 2007 has some similar characteristics, but definitely is its own. "Beautiful," we both kept saying to one another as we sipped. Ernie Pink, co-owner and winemaker at Amalie Robert has a way of coaxing a little olive note from his Chardonnays, and the 2007 has notes of briny green olive, warm buttered yeast buns, butternut squash and a lovely floral touch of earthy dandelion flowers. It has somehow become vogue to turn up the nose at Chardonnay, but I certainly don't know why when one as winsome and palate-provoking as this is available.

Dena Drews and Ernie Pink at Amalie Robert released their 2009 Chardonnay this past weekend, and with all of our goings-on we weren't able to visit their winery for a taste, but we will soon as their Chard has a very welcome place on our table.

That anticipating what's ahead part of our discussion?? My Baby and I are getting married in 48 days. 48 days!!! And the excitement builds all over again.

Comments

  1. Yay! Love the countdown! 48 days!
    It's always tough to part with family & friends. I get all weepy after the departure.
    What yummy wines will you have at the wedding? And more importantly, on the honeymoon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wedding to look forward to, yours! How exciting! Think of the wines you'll have then

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, how exciting! I hope you enjoy the all the wonderful excitement that comes with such a fabulous event.

    Congratulations!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. We are in the throes of planning a mega celebration in two weeks for our 25th anniversary. I do love a good celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet, honest post. I am leaving Pennsylvania to go back to Seattle on Friday and can relate. I always make myself feel better by thinking how lucky I am to have family and friends to miss. I never take them for granted, and soak up every minute. Hope you aren't stressed about the wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love countdowns, especially when they're for something as special as this. Thank you for the insightful review on the Chardonnay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I caught this post because I'm usually biased against Chardonnay. I will have to hunt down the vintages you are referencing! One Chardonnay that I loved in the past was Trapiche's Oak Cask Aged varietal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Cook This